Monday, February 11, 2008

What the people need is a way to make 'em smile


Dear Family,
I recently started making a playlist of songs that I remember from my childhood at the time when Mom and Dad still controlled the music selection in the house. It turns out that most of it is made of intense harmonies like Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, which is somewhat interesting. I was also thinking about the days when we had a rotating system of breakfast music selection. I think my album of choice was always Magical Mystery Tour, mostly because of the album art, which I still dream about.

So here is the list I came up with

Take it easy- Eagles (not until later)
Amie- Pure Prairie League
Loggins and Messina- House at Pooh Corner
Crosby, Stills, Nash, Young - Various songs (anyone know specifically which? I know Dad loves suite: bloody Jew eyes)
Eric Clapton's Unplugged Album
Magical Mystery Tour
Abby Road
Sgt. Pepper's

and some amount of the following artists/Musicals:
Carol King
Bonnie Raitt
James Taylor
CCR
Doobie Brothers
Oklahoma!
Jesus Christ Superstar
Fraggle Rock
Dan Foggleberg

I know that Dad listened to lots of Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, but I don't remember being introduced to them until about 5th or 6th grade when we were visiting Uncle Ron and Dad insisted on listening to Kashmir. Anyone remember these bands earlier?

I think more than anything I was influenced by the album art, which I still dream about.

Ethan sent me this picture too...Isn't Dad cute?

1 comment:

Ethan said...

I was into dad's rolling stones tape (steel wheels, one of their worst) and little feat (a real texas twista!) then we pulled out the albums. I have a feeling dad only has about a fourth of his collection now.